Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Week Away


It's almost here! That walk. That sixty. Mile. Walk. Do I have all my gear squared away? No. Have I packed up my bag to make sure everything I need to bring weighs less than 35 pounds? No. Have I tested my air mattress to make sure it doesn't leak? No. Have I broken in my brand new pair of walking shoes? No. Am I ready? Yes. Yes I am!

I'm really excited, and I'm going to turn all of those "nos" in the paragraph above into "yeses" this weekend. I know that walking sixty miles is going to take a toll on my body. I know there will be pain. I know I will be tired, and right now I'm thinking bring it on.

When did I become a person who welcomes pain and hardship? Somewhere during all of the training I've been doing these past few months I've learned that I can do more than I think I can. In the past I would tend to wimp out and give up when something got hard. I would say to myself, "I'm not cut out for this, I'll just do something that comes easily to me," but because I made a commitment to raise money that will go toward possibly finding a cure for breast cancer one day, and because I made a commitment to raising money to help women and men who are fighting breast cancer right now, and because I made a commitment to raise money to help teach women and men how to detect breast cancer, I forced myself to work through the hard stuff. Now I look forward to accomplishing something I didn't think I could.

The countdown begins. Just 7 days left!
post signature

No comments: