Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The 3-Day - Day One

We all arrived at our starting point bright and early, we were still a bit groggy, the sky was still dark. Our team name was Race for the Rack, and our little redheaded spitfire of a team mate, Frosty, managed to procure some antlers for us all to wear. Get it? Rack? Sigh. I know, it's not my cutest look. In fact, I was not cute at all this weekend. Not once.

Jennifer, Frosty, Ann, and Dona

The first half of our walk on the first day was really wonderful. The scenery was the best, the sun was shining, the air was cool, and everyone was still feeling really good. About every 3 miles we had a "pit stop" where we could refill our water, use the port-a-potties, get some snacks, and stretch. "Hydrate! Urinate! Stretch! Stretch! Stretch!" Just a little something I picked up. There were a lot of perky people on this walk.

Pit Stop Number One
Love My Hairdo?

More Gorgeous Scenery

All along the route there were people camped out to cheer us on. Some wore outlandish costumes, many brought treats like candy, popsicles, and best of all spray bottles! for a refreshing mist as we walked by. This (below) lady was so great with her loud music and dancing. One of the walkers I trained with (in blue) decided it was too good to pass up and started dancing too. This was a whole new side of her that I'd never witnessed during training. I love her even more now, such a cool lady.

Another Pit Stop and Another Stylish Look for Me

Frosty and I

Quote of the day: "Where's Mom? She said to look for pink." from a little girl meeting her mom at our lunch stop.


We walked a total of 23.5 miles on the first day. At the last pit stop with just 3 miles to go, I thought I was not going to be able to keep going. Something had happened to my knee, and every step felt like a hammer bash to the side of my knee cap. I went to the medical tent and they strapped some ice to me just to get me to camp, but I was in a lot of pain, and almost hopped on the air conditioned bus that would take me straight to camp for the night.

I couldn't bear the thought of giving up so soon, only day one! Ann, my sister-in-law and team mate was a great encourager, and together we decided to go the rest of the way, which was mostly up hill with the sun staring us right in the face. Just when I knew I couldn't take another step on that knee I saw the field of pink tents. I'd made it, but I hurt so bad I had to choke back tears when the crew cheered me into camp.




I met up with Frosty and Dona, traded my walking shoes for flip flops, and the three of us went and got dinner. As the night went on I became more and more depressed because I knew my knee was hurt too bad to walk 19.5 miles the next day. I also knew that I'd be sleeping on the ground, without my family, and no wine, margaritas or hot baths. I had a tent to myself because my assigned tent mate decided to book a hotel room (NOT a bad idea at all, I was thinking at this point.) so I said goodnight to my team mates and zipped up my tent where I spent the next four hours crying myself to sleep. I couldn't imagine why God would set me on this path only to fail.

Not only was I depressed, but my nerves were so raw, and I started to feel very panicky. After reading the messages on the memorial tents in camp, where walkers from each city had written very personal messages, I began to fear my own death, with the knowledge that no one escapes it, and if leaving children behind could happen to one mother it could certainly happen to me.



I was so miserable I almost called my husband to come and take me home, but then I'd cry even harder thinking of letting my kids down because they were excited about coming out to cheer for me along the route on Saturday. I thought of all of you too, and your encouraging messages, "You can do it!" and I cried some more because it was very clear at that point that no, I couldn't.
For the rest of the night I cried and prayed and made FIVE trips to the port-a-potties. I slept a little too, and after a very long night I greeted Day Two.

Stay tuned.
post signature

No comments: